During pregnancy, your body undergoes many changes. Those that have gone through pregnancy before will no doubt let you know of the changes that you will notice! Sometimes with these changes come aches and pains.
You may experience pain which stem from;
- hormones (that dreaded word!)
- position of your growing baby
- stretching of ligaments
- changes to your posture
- altered centre of gravity
- having to sleep on your side all night.
What are the benefits of having physio during pregnancy?
Physio can be very beneficial in helping relieve aches and pain associated with pregnancy. Physio can also help by guiding you in exercises which are safe to do during pregnancy which will help you feel stronger.
What aches and pains can physio help with while I am pregnant?
- lower back pain
- round ligament pain
- pelvic pain
- lateral hip pain
- neck and shoulder pain
- upper back pain / stiffness
- pelvic floor
What will happen during my physio session?
During your session, your physio can help with;
- Joint mobilisation
- Posture education and training
- Give you strategies to help you prevent strains on your changing body
- Prescribing different supports and braces (eg a sacroiliac joint belt)
- Exercise therapy – which can help strengthen and stabilise the lower back and pelvis
It’s important for you to know that there are some techniques that are not recommended or safe during pregnancy.
Physiotherapy supervised exercise classes (such as Pilates) can also be very beneficial during your pregnancy. A physio will create your exercise program and alter your exercises as your body changes throughout your pregnancy. It is important to keep your muscles strong and ready for childbirth and all that is beyond!
So, seeing your physiotherapist during your pregnancy will help you feel better and hopefully help you enjoy the exciting journey that is pregnancy without the associated pains!